Is your car at risk?
The latest figures from TRACKER come as a stern warning to motorists and perhaps an indication why car key insurance is important. Nearly a third (32%) of cars are stolen with keys during the darker months, compared to 24% for the rest of the year.
Most cars TRACKER recover are ‘stolen without keys’, however the darker months are seeing an increase of ‘stolen with keys’.
There are a number of factors which attribute to the thefts. Early winter nights are prime ground for thieves acting under the cover of darkness. The chances of catching a thief whilst breaking into homes to take car keys, or simply taking advantage of open doors and windows is considerably reduced. Another prime opportunity for criminals are the harsh frosty mornings where drivers often leave cars unattended with engines running whilst waiting for windows to de-ice. It only takes a matter of seconds!!!
Motorists can minimise their risk and save the upset and expense of having a thief steal their car by taking precautions:
Security advice for winter
- Never leave keys in the ignition, not even for a moment
- Never leave your car unattended with the engine running when de-icing
- Always lock and secure your car
- Don’t leave belongings on show. Lock them in the boot or remove them
- Don’t leave technology items on display, such as satnavs, mobile telephones or DVD players. Take them with you or lock them in the boot
- Never leave car documentation or spare keys in the car – this makes it easier for thieves to sell it on
- Always park your car in busy or well-lit and attended car parks near CCTV cameras
- If you have a garage always park your car in it
- At home, keep keys away from windows and places a thief can access them from outside like letterboxes and cat flaps
- Protect your keys with car key insurance
Why buy car key insurance
At Keycare, we ensure that you avoid the hassle that losing keys brings. We replace distress and worry with comforting peace of mind from as little as 5p per day.
- The cost of replacing lost and stolen keys including locksmith charges
- 24 hour, 365 days a year emergency helpline
- Access to a nationwide network of approved locksmiths
- Cover anywhere in the EU
- No excess to pay
- UK based call centre